Sunday, March 27, 2022

Doll Collection Cycle 2022 - Number 6 Legendary Status Agnes Von Weiss (Color Variation)

This particular doll is a "sore spot" with me.   I had decided that it was never going to be in my collection and had completely given up on ever requiring it.

During the first ever Virtual Integrity Toys Convention, Legendary, a photo of a particular doll kept making an appearance.  It was even on the convention packaging of all the dolls.   Collectors waited, holding their breath, for the release of this doll.  I remember I even put out feelers to purchase it prior to the final night's "gala presentation".  Everyone thought it had to be either the convention doll or the companion, but it was neither; collectors starting wondering exactly what was going on.

Legendary Status Agnes Von Weiss was the "Anniversary" doll for Integrity Toys and was made to order so all W Club members and Convention attendees could buy one!  How exciting!!  Unfortunately, when the promo photos started appearing everyone quickly realized the convention packaging had received quite a bit of editing!  The production doll wasn't quite the same - even the ponytail was placed differently.


I actually like Legendary Status quite a bit, green eye shadow and all.   For me, personally, I thought Legendary Status looked like a modern re-imagining of the grail, Optic Verve (right down to the yellow gown).  IT likes to re-imagine extremely popular dolls.  I sold Optic Verve because I knew the hair would have a lot of flyaways, which I just can't abide.


When the Legendary Status announcement went public, there was a lot of comment that the makeup was just too garish.  The gown was too yellow.  Everything was just "too" too much.  It was noted this doll would've been much better had she been a high ponytail blonde with a silver gown.  (But then she wouldn't have favored Optic Verve, would she?)

Now ... fast forward a couple weeks following the deadline to order Legendary Status Agnes Von Weiss, and Integrity Toys/W Club makes an announcement that there was an unadvertised doll just for Legendary Convention ticket holders that didn't make it to the convention package in time.  This doll just happened to be a color variation of Legendary Status.  This time in silver with silver hair in a high ponytail!  Some convention ticket holders felt duped; they wouldn't have purchased the yellow version had they known about the silver one.  Collectors who didn't hold convention tickets were upset because they didn't even get the opportunity to purchase the better version!

Legendary Status Color Variation Agnes was an immediate success and started selling at more than double her retail price.  As her prices soared, I gave up on adding this doll to my collection.    I just resigned myself to the fact that I would not own it.

Imagine my excitement when a dealer sold one recently at a modest markup!  I grabbed it immediately.  I do not regret paying secondary market to a dealer, especially when it is considerably below e-bay going rates.  This girl is just as beautiful in person as in photos!


I know I should release her from her box, but she truly was a grail I had given up on ever owning.  I need to display her NRFB for a little while to get used to the fact that she is actually in my collection.  Number 6 of 2022 is Legendary Status Agnes Von Weiss Color Variation.



1 comment:

Janell H. said...

So much drama over this whole thing! I agree the redhead doll is stunning--especially in a different gown. The crystal-studded tights are incredible.
There were a few of the color variation dolls available via lottery--I entered it and about PASSED OUT when I was notified that I had won!!! I couldn't breathe!! She is one my most treasured gems in my large collection. I STILL can't believe how beautiful she is, OMG.