Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Countdown Best of 2023 - Honorable Mentions

First, I need to post my usual "fine print" about my countdown list.  

1. I only include dolls that were shipped to collectors in the past calendar year.  There were dolls promoted in 2023 that are extraordinary but haven't been shipped to collectors yet, so those will have their chance at a countdown in a subsequent year.  Likewise, some of the dolls included may have been previewed in a previous year for collectors to pre-order, but they didn't make it into the hands of collectors until this year.   I do this because there can be quite a difference between promotional photos and the actual production doll. Sometimes they aren't as good, but sometimes they are much better.

2. Dolls included in the countdown are those actually purchased for my collection, so they represent my personal tastes.  I didn't include dolls that may have been more popular with the general collecting audience that I do not own.  There will be some omissions that standout, but I can only judge doll that I own.  Very few collectors have the space or budget to purchase everything offered in a collecting year, and I am not one of them.

3. I base my decisions primarily on the aesthetic of the overall doll.  Although the ensemble the dolls comes dressed in may play a factor as a whole, I do redress and photograph my dolls.  I prefer a doll that photographs well in a variety of styles.   That's not to say I can't be swayed by a perfect presentation ... My Number 1's of 2013 were Midnight Star Elyse Jolie and After Tonight Eugenia Frost, and my Number 1 of 2020 was The Enchantress Nadja Rhymes.  These three dolls have been displayed in their original ensembles since arriving here.  They truly are perfect as presented.  

4. I'm sure there will be dolls included in the countdown that you disagree with me about.  Like I wrote earlier: my countdown, my choices.  We all have different favorites and that's what makes doll collecting so awesome.  I love seeing dolls through the eyes of fellow collectors.

5. Although Integrity Toys has given us very good 2023 "reimagined examples" of previously released dolls, I did NOT include any of them in my countdown.   There is less creativity involved in changing the color of a doll's ensemble, skin tone, and hair.  I am not a fan of this trend and am bored by it.  That being said, The 2023 NuFace Moments and Summer Rose Eugenia Frost were all very beautiful dolls but they do not show up in my 2023 countdown.

... So let's get going!  Here are some Honorable Mentions.

2023 gave us the whole Barbie Movie phenomenon!  Talk about giving a line of toys a serious shot in the arm!  This was the most brilliant and much needed marketing plan for a company that has been struggling over the past few years to reach their adult collectors!

Margo Robbie and Ryan Gosling were ideal in the roles of Basic Barbie and Ken!  There was just enough kitsch and satire for a humorous nod without poking fun at the brand.  With so many "easter eggs" built in and references to famous products of the past, it was a true joy for collectors to watch!   Although there was some negative feedback from the conservative right, the movie reached blockbuster status.  I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.


Then you get the merch!  Dolls sold out within minutes of premiering on the Mattel Creations website.  Collectors didn't have better luck with major retailers or Amazon.  Barbie movie dolls were a hot commodity!  You had to have deep pockets if you wanted everything but had to go to secondary market to get it.  And there was something for everyone!  We got a pink corvette, a dream house, ensembles, and a whole bunch of dolls!  It was a great year to be a diehard Barbie collector.

Probably my favorite scene in the movie was when Barbie and Ken are rollerblading in California.  It was a great reference to the 1982 Rollerblading Barbie that was recalled because when you pushed her across the carpet the rollerblades shot out sparks.  These were the only two dolls that I purchased.  Here they are in their original packaging.  They cost $24.99 each at my local Walmart.


My ONLY complaint with this concept is that they used the same doll molds with similar faceup and hair for all the Margo Robbie Barbies and all the Ryan Gosling Kens.  If you purchased any one of the versions, you pretty much didn't need the others unless you wanted the ensemble.  Even though I personally would've favored some variety, I'm not sure how that could've been achieved since the actors kept the same look throughout the movie.  And where is my #1 Margo Robbie from the opening scene?!  

Another wonderful thing worth noting is the "Kenough" at the end of the movie.  What an amazing affirmation.  Awesome concept and execution throughout.  Kudos to Mattel!

My other Honorable Mention actually represents two of my very favorite dolls added to my collection in 2023.  I decided it was only fair to include dolls in my Best of countdown that were available to the general collecting audience.  That would exclude these dolls since they were created to my personal specifications.  In 2023, I was introduced to Dominion Doll by a good doll friend.  I reviewed these dolls last month: Review of Dominion Doll  .

These dolls are truly extraordinary.  I have enjoyed redressing and posing them so much.  I hope to add more to my collection in 2024.  

Here is Dominion Doll Aura in Caramel skin tone.  She is wearing the top and skirt from Integrity Toys X Magia 2000 Runway in Milan Colette Duranger. 

And here is Dominion Doll Nika in Cream skin tone.  She is wearing Look 2 from the Jamieshow/Owensu Muses Bonjour Paris line.

Such amazing dolls that are true standouts in my collection; however, they are more like OOAK artisan works of art than dolls you can buy from retailers.   Although they are my very favorite dolls added to my collection, they will not be included in my Best of 2023 countdown.

My countdown starts tomorrow ... I hope you enjoy it.  Thank you for taking this joyous ride with me in 2023.




1 comment:

Rebelranger said...

Looking forward to your countdown.