Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Collection Cycle 2022 - Number 21: MVP Rayna Ahmadi

So, it's the end of August and attendees (and W Club Members who participated) finally received the last doll from the Integrity Toys Obsession Convention.   The event took place on December 3, 2021; it only took 8+ months for the doll to make it through production and shipping, but who's counting?

Here is the promo photo from Integrity Toys (for those who may have forgotten what she looks like):


I do not plan to continue the discussion about Athleisure wear and the theme "Obsession" - that horse has definitely died.  Here is a closeup photo of the doll in the box.  

I had to turn her head this way for a good shot because my doll's head looked a little "lopsided"??!!!  I've read that a few collectors are having this same complaint.  Even though IT dolls are produced by hand, they do have an "Assembly Line" type of production.  I used to think the numbered Certificate of Authenticity was important until it was reported at an IT Convention that the heads were "thrown into a barrel" after forming.  Then the hair rooter pulled them out one by one for rooting, to just throw them into another barrel.  Next, the person doing the facial screenings pulls them out of the barrel one at a time and throws them into another container after the screening dries.   It seems like quite an arduous task that takes several different employees to complete.  I guess it's fairly easy to see how quality can suffer.  It also emphasizes that the Certificate 001/??? may just as well been the last doll through the process as the first.  Add to that the ridiculous number of dolls being sold by IT family members on e-bay without Certificates of Authenticity and they just seem valueless.

Although not a new problem, the head reforming can be completed by warming the head with a heating pad.   When the head is "pliable", just use your fingers to hold the head in the correct shape until it cools.  It's doesn't take long.  Here is a photo of my doll before the correction.   

To me, it looks like she has a toothache on her right side.  Once I saw it, I couldn't "unsee" it.  Out comes the heating pad.  

Now, this is speculation and I don't believe IT has confirmed, denied, or even addressed the issue publicly, but I agree with a few other collectors who have surmised that IT has changed the rubber formula for doll heads.   This doll's head actually warmed up much quicker than other dolls' heads that I have heated in the past.  I was also surprised by just how pliable the rubber actually was!  That could explain the "toothache" syndrome on this doll.

Here is a photo of the doll after I changed her head shape a little.

Now for my personal opinions:   

This photo of the accessories is the property of Integrity Toys.  



I'm not sure there is anything truly spectacular here.  We've seen these sunglasses multiple times; the frame tint may be a little different and more coppery though.  I was excited to get the watch in a gold tone (after receiving it in silver with Mademoiselle Annik).   The rings are simple, the earrings look like little pieces of jewelry chain molded onto earring backs.  I'm just not sure of this purse in the least.  It looks like a "granny purse".  It just doesn't go at all.  I would've loved a gym bag!  

MVP Rayna Ahmadi is one of the first IT Nuface dolls to be produced with the flat feet already on the doll.  The 2020 Off Duty Collection and Varsity Alejandra come with flat feet, but they were produced with regular high heeled feet in place.  I really wish there had been an alternate pair of shoes for the heeled feet like they did with Off Duty.   I may be going against general opinion, but I do NOT like these orange shoes at all.  Even though they are well designed and constructed, they just look odd on the doll.

Here is the redressed doll in full length.

I LOVE the hair color.  It is advertised as "Copper", but it looks like a blend and has a heavy dose of black.  I do not mind the style except for one little detail.   I am not a fan of the hair "tendrils" on the sides of her face.  DO NO LIKE THIS - PLEASE STOP!   To remedy this, I used a needle with thread and tied them back behind her head.  Fortunately, my doll's hairline looks pretty good and there is plenty of hair with a very long length.  With the correction to the "tendrils" and a good hairline, I think the hair on this doll is very nice.

I am a HUGE fan of the Rayna Ahmadi mold.  I am proud to say that I own every version produced for the public.  She reminds me of Angelina Jolie.  I think she could be a relative of Poppy Parker.   For some reason, she always gets the best iris coloring.  This doll's makeup is no exception.  She's just an extraordinary looking doll and the faceup is amazing on this wonderful Japan skin tone which is just luminescent.  This dolls truly glows.

The ensemble is questionable.  The oversized jacket with deconstructed edges at the shoulder looks like the sleeves have been detached.  The fabric is nice, but the effect of the coat just doesn't translate to this scale.  I really like the football pants - the colors make me have a hankering for candy corn for some reason (as does her manicure).  The standout piece from this ensemble is easily the bodysuit.  It is actually an incredible clothing piece and will get lots of use in my collection.

Let's redress a little.  I decided to put her alternate legs on without the ankle joint and change out the pants and shoes with Mademoiselle Annik. 

Much better, don't you agree?  I think MVP Rayna Ahmadi will be around for some time.  She's a very nice, unique version of this mold and is Number 21 added to my doll collection of 2022.








1 comment:

Janell H. said...

I also hated those tendrils and was able to snip them off right at the hairline!
I also agree that the pointy shoes on her flat feet looked so strange! The gold bodysuit was the only part of her outfit that I liked (other than the jewelry). I've been trying to sell the fashion and no one wants to buy it....
Good to know about the lopsided face fix, oh my goodness.