Thursday, January 4, 2018

Best of 2017 - Number 8

Nadja Rhymes, mold 2.0, is no foreigner to my Top 10 countdown.  In 2015, Out of Sight made number 6 in the countdown, and Polarity placed in the Number 9 position last year.   There were two beautiful versions of this mold received by collectors in 2017 and another was previewed for the mainline but is not expected to be shipped until January 2018.

I reviewed I Slay Nadja Rhymes in February of this year (link:  I Slay Nadja Rhymes Review).  Although she was part of the 2016 mainline, she did not make her way into collectors hands until this past winter.  I believe she has one of the most beautiful faces in my collection.  Here she is wearing a OOAK sweater ensemble purchased from Gwendolyn's Treasures on Etsy.
 I Slay Nadja Rhymes is probably one of the runners-up in this year's countdown and was barely nudged out of the Top 10 by her sister.

In 2009, Integrity Toys (IT) gave convention attendees a "build-a-doll" giftset.  Here is a list of giftsets so far:

2009 - Power Game Natalia Fatale
2010 - Head for Glamour Agnes Von Weiss (Thank you Luis for the catch on the name)
2011 - Point of Departure Eugenia Frost
2012 - High Point Vanessa Perrin (mold 3.0)
2013 - Interlude Monogram
2016 - You Better Werk Tulabelle (Thank you Phyllis for catching this!)

In 2014 and 2015, attendees received a special convention ensemble in lieu of the build-a-doll giftset.

I cannot imagine the excitement when attendees realized IT had resurrected the build-a-doll concept for the 2017 convention.   This year's offering is Sweet Dreams Nadja Rhymes and she represents the Fairytale "Sleeping Beauty".

I believe I prefer the faceup and hair of I Slay, but the packaging and concept of Sweet Dreams just cannot be ignored!  A common saying in creative thought is "Think outside the box", but the IT design team "Thought about the box".  Here is a photo of the complete giftset (including the additional body and limbs)
And a photo without the plastic covers for each compartment.
The first piece was received by attendees as they registered; it was the packaging/box which is made to look like a book with a vellum lay on top.  There is even a bookmark.   Each compartment was received at a different event and has a plastic cover that says, when put together, "Somewhere In The Forest... The Beauty... ...Sleeps in Peace."  What a lovely tribute to a favorite childhood fairytale!

At the Welcome Banquet, attendees got the actual doll, "Somewhere in the Forest ..."
Here is a photo without the lid.  The blue dress is separate to the lace top.  Cute off-white booties, white fishnet hose, earrings, and a chocker finish the look.  She is actually a very beautiful doll and attendees should've been thrilled to have the giftset included in the registration fee.
The second piece received was at the luncheon and was the sleeping doll, "...Sleeps in peace"; it came with a ticket that allowed attendees to buy the completer body and limbs in the salesroom for a nominal amount - NOTE:  since IT dolls use "peg-in-hole" system for assembling, it's not difficult to take the torso off the awake doll and replace it with the sleeping torso; therefore, collectors didn't need the additional lower body and arms.  It was a nice gesture on IT's part to make it available for collectors who wanted both dolls fully assembled.
The originality shown in the development of this giftset is extraordinary.  The doll's eyes are painted closed as if she is actually sleeping!  Attached to the box is the matching panty to the bra and a set of jewelry.
The final piece of the giftset, the addition ensemble, "The beauty ...", was given to attendees at the final dinner.
Here is a photo without the plastic cover.  It is a coral/pink dress with additional shoes and necklace.

I am very impressed with the whole concept.  It is fresh and clever.  Whether you are in love with the actual doll or not (and I think the doll is none too shabby!), you cannot deny this is one of the most creative giftsets ever designed.
I want to take the doll out and play with it so badly, but I love the packaging and want to savor it a little longer.  I am quite impressed and have never seen anything quite like this.

Bringing me the joy of creativity and making its way into my Top 10 Countdown of 2017.  At Number 9 of 2017, Sweet Dreams Nadja Rhymes.






4 comments:

Unknown said...

The most beautiful and creative doll from they convention,I just wish the extra outfit was a gown. P.D. Glamour to Go was the name of an Adele from an earlier collections, a blonde version with red lingerie and a robe, the build-a-gifset Agnes was named Head for Glamour I believe.
Cheers from Mexico

Kamelia said...

A real beauty.

Phyllis said...

This was a really nice gift set. I love seeing photos of her. You said that there wasn't a build a doll giftset in 2016? I did go to that Convention (my first and only so far) and we did get a build a doll gift set. it was the "You Better Work Tulabelle Giftset". We were presented on the first day with a doll and box and received additional pieces each day. Isn't that the same thing? It wasn't as elaborate as the 2017 set, but it was still a set, right?

Andrew S. said...

FF is my first convention and when thinking on who the giftset doll could be one name I mentioned myself was Nadja so it being her was just great. I would've loved to see her in I slay's skintone and hair but the entire set is beyond reproach and I will cherish it forever.