Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Best of 2017 - Number 10

I truly struggled with putting together my Top 10 Countdown for 2017.   This will be the 8th anniversary for my listing of favorite dolls, and there has never been so many beautiful examples from which to choose.

One of the reasons I had trouble with this year's countdown is that I was trying to be objective and choose dolls that were popular with collectors.  Unfortunately, I was finding that other collectors' favorites were not my choices.  I guess dolls around here pretty much fall into four categories:

  1. Debox immediately and let the redressing begin!
  2. Debox but display the doll in stock because she's just too beautiful to redress right now.
  3. Can't make up my mind, so shove her in the closet.
  4. Off to another collector who appreciates her more.
I decided to stop looking at other collectors' lists and think about the dolls that brought joy to me this year.  I hope, if you are reading this, you keep in mind these choices are personal to me for various reasons and may not reflect what is popular in the collecting community.

... so let's get on with it.  The first doll in my countdown came to my collection in June.   I have been a supporter of the Victoire Roux line since its debut in 2011.  Unfortunately designers changed the facial screening in 2013, and the line lost its attraction to many collectors.  Integrity Toys (IT) tried to correct this in 2014 but failed to recapture the momentum of the original line.  Victoire Roux went on sabbatical until Chris Stoekel joined the IT design team and launched the East 59th in 2017.  The two new characters, Constance Madssen and Evelyn Weaverton, were supposed to be friends of Victoire.  The style was vintage, classic, and glamorous!  The bodies were compatible to the original Victoire body.

Here is the link to my original review of Luxurious Leisure Constance Madssen Review of Luxurious Leisure.  Although I wasn't head-over-heels in love with the face screening, the ensemble was amazing, as were the accessories.   The packaging was unique and exciting.  The best thing about the East 59th dolls is that she can wear just about everything from the early years of Fashion Royalty.  (The fact that my FR2 dolls cannot wear much of my accumulated doll closet has been a annoyance since their release.)

Here she is modeling Hot Topic from 2005.  I love this brocade coat.  The details (like the brown "suede" piping) are so fabulous!  Even the sleeves are just the right length!  (The shoes are snug, but with a little effort can stay on her feet.)
Because this doll brought back my joy of playing with the early FR fashions and returned classic glamour to my collection, Number 10 of 2017 is Luxurious Leisure Constance Madssen.







3 comments:

Phyllis said...

I am excited to see your top 10 choices for 2017! I think this should always be totally based on your choices as it is your list! We all have different tastes in doll and my list might be different from yours, but I am always interested to see your picks. After all, we all have different reasons as to why we buy or like a doll.

Anonymous said...

Choosing your own favorites is the best way to make your list, I agree! After all it's your collection and has to make you happy :-).
This beauty is wonderful, I love her face, and the outfit is chic and elegant.
Looking forward to more of your countdown!

Kamelia said...

It's a wonderful beginning of your list! I can't wait to see more. And the doll and her outfit are beautiful.