Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Legendary Convention Recap (NuFace)

Ever since Jessy Ayala joined the design team of Integrity Toys (IT), my NuFace collection has grown substantially.  Some of the most successful versions of dolls, as well as the most "new grails", have come out of the NuFace lines over the past few years.   

In fact, my very favorite convention dolls from the past three years have been from the NuFace line:  

2017- Natural Wonder Rayna, 24K Erin, Changing Winds Eden, and A Sweet Dream Nadja

2018 - Afterglow Lilith, Public Adoration Eden, and Optic Illusion Giselle

2019 - London Show Nadja

I was expecting a great deal from a convention labeled "Legendary".

Two NuFace girls showed up in the regular Convention Package.  The first is In Control Erin Salston.  She cost $150, and her edition size was 600.  


I didn't have high exceptions for this doll.  Jessy had the task of re-imagining an older version of Erin after establishing her newer versions as amazing grails.  Not an easy job.  He dug deep into the NuFace vault, all the way to 2008's Clash Control Erin Salston.

I never liked the original version of this doll.  I'm not sure why anyone would want to do a remake.  Although In Control Erin is attractive, she's no 24k, Metamorphosis, or Heiress.  Jessy was smart to use the 2.0 mold for the doll.   "Next ..."

The second doll was one that was eagerly anticipated by collectors ever since the Legendary Convention package was released.  She is Not Pretending Eden Blair.  Also $150 and an edition size of 600.


Easy nod to one of the biggest grails in NuFace, 2010's Great Pretender Lilith Blair.   


When Not Pretending Eden Blair's first pictures were released, everyone scrambled to get her.  Unfortunately, most attendees weren't willing to let her go.  Her secondary market has understandably sky-rocketed.  I desperately wanted this doll, but I'm old and need all my organs.   

That Teddy Bear book bag is an amazing homage to the movie "Clueless".

I will have to be very patient and keep my fingers crossed.  I really want this doll.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have a new "Grail".

Speaking of "new Grails", another NuFace doll showed up as the centerpiece at Thursday night's Gala Celebration.  Jessy really outdid himself on this one.  She is The Enchantress Nadja Rhymes, edition size of 600 and a $175 price tag.


Her inspiration was The Illusionist Nadja from 2008.

I actually gasped out loud when I saw The Enchantress Nadja.  I immediately started begging, and was able to acquire her from a doll friend named Julia at a fair price.  I recognized that this doll was going to be a major hit, and I needed her in my collection.  I own every version of Nadja Rhymes mold 2.0.  The Enchantress Nadja was my "must have" doll from this convention.

Unfortunately, there was only one other NuFace offering at this convention.  At the IT Convention, there is always a W Club Luncheon offered to members of the W Club.  Since this year was virtual, the W Club wanted to do something special for its members and offered every member the opportunity to participate in this program.  For the cost of the event doll, members got to attend the event online, receive the event doll, and get the opportunity to purchase the centerpiece.  (In the past, the centerpiece is usually a NuFace doll also.  This year it was a FR doll which will be reviewed in a separate blog entry.)

The W Club Event doll was Charmed Child Ayumi Nakamura.  


She was based on 2007's Miracle Child Ayumi Nakamura (mold 1.0)

Collectors "in the know" immediately made the connection between Charmed Child Ayumi and Pop Group Blackpink's member Lisa.

Once this connection got shared, the Charmed Child Ayumi became instantly more popular.  I think this is an excellent Nuface doll and different than anything else in my collection.  I'm not sure I would seek her out and pay secondary market prices, but I am glad I purchased the W Club Event ticket.  I can't wait to see her in person.

I am disappointed that there were only four offerings at the convention.  This has been a very lean year for NuFace, which has become my favorite line, by the way.  I was hoping to see a Rayna.  It can be argued that we got Optic Illusion Giselle at the 2018 convention, but she was a reimagined Optic Verve Agnes.  I would've loved to get a reimagined Costume Drama, Masterpiece Theatre, Smoke Signal (never produced), Old Is New, or Dark Romance.  And exactly where was Colette?  


So, to keep tally.  I was fortunate to acquire Red Hot Evelyn Weaverton from the East 59th St line at retail (see previous blog entry).  I got Charmed Child Ayumi Nakamura from the W Club Event ticket I purchased months ago.  The only doll I had to pay secondary market for is The Enchantress Nadja Rhymes, but I love her and felt the price given me by my doll friend was reasonable.


So far, I was doing quite well.  But trouble was coming ...



No comments: