Monday, November 16, 2020

Legendary Convention Recap - Part I (Dolls on the fringe)

First, I think it may be helpful to write a little about myself.   After all, is there any reason you should come here and read my blog?  Actually, there really isn't!  I don't have any formal training in fashion, nor do I work in either the toy or fashion industry.  Everything I write is just my personal opinions (and we all know about opinions and how everybody has one).

I have been a doll collector my whole life.  Many dolls have come and gone.  It's fair to say that the only dolls to keep my interest and remain living here are my Vintage Barbies, modern Fashionista (on Made To Move bodies), and IT dolls.  I've been collecting IT dolls since 2005.  Although I've collected many different types and brands of dolls, the bulk of my doll collection is IT dolls.    

It would be fair to say that I've owned dolls from every IT line.  Over the years, I refined my interests and now only focus on FR, NuFace, Poppy Parker, and East 59th.  I guess I've owned upward of 650 IT dolls over the past 15 years (many of which have gone on to other homes, fortunately). 

So ... let's get on with the show!  (Since these dolls still have not shipped, all photos are property of Integrity Toys/IT.  When possible, and I know the connection, I will post the inspiration photos.)

As Tina Turner would say, let's start "nice and easy".  None of these dolls were part of the "Convention Collection" that was advertised to attendees.

Fans of the "East 59th Street" line were given one offering this year (there was only one offering at last year's convention, as well).   This year's doll is Red Hot Evelyn Weaverton and she was an IT Virtual Salesroom Exclusive.  Her edition size was only 300 (the lowest edition size doll at the convention); she cost $145.   This doll is an original design by Chris Stoekel and isn't based on a previous doll offering from what I can tell.  

Chris has been at the helm of this doll line since its conception with Victoire Roux, and he knows what his collectors like and want.  A nice W Club member was able to help me get this doll for retail, so she will be shipped directly to me from IT.  Although I have another Evelyn with a dark haired updo, this ensemble is just the bomb!  I do collect East 59th Street, so purchasing this doll at retail was a no-brainer.  I think there is A LOT of doll for the buck in this one.

When you pay for the convention package, you usually get 4 dolls included:  Welcome Doll, Gala Dinner Giveaway, Poppy Parker Luncheon Giveaway, and the Convention Doll.  This makes each doll's cost about $145.  It's very fitting that Janay was the Welcome Doll.  Although IT is celebrating its 25th Anniversary, FR wasn't around during the first 5+ years.  IT started out selling play line dolls in departments stores such as K-Mart.  One of their flagship play line dolls was Janay.  She has shown up on rare occasion over the past several years and finally settled into a role with "The Industry" line.  Meet Carry On Janay.


Although I have a few dolls from this line, it would be fair to say that I'm not a big fan of the sculpts used.  I like Tulabelle (both versions), but I've never warmed to the other dolls.  Carry On is a super cute version with a nice ensemble.  With an edition size of 600, coming from a less popular line, I am assuming she will be easy to acquire reasonably priced later.

Again, just like last year's convention, there were two offerings in "The Industry" line.  The second offering was an IT Direct doll that could be purchased in the Virtual Salesroom.  David Buttry, Poppy Parker's designer, made a smart decision to bring back a popular Dynamite Girl as a new character.  Here is She's That Witch Sooki.  She cost $145 and was produced in an edition size of 500.   



I'm sure this made a lot of fans of the retired "Dynamite Girl" line ecstatic.  She's That Witch is a cute, punk girl reminiscent of earlier versions: I think her inspiration came from 2008's Spooky Sooki.


Although a nice doll, I don't feel the pressing need to add her to my collection at this time.   It was important to watch my money this year since I didn't manage to get a convention ticket, even though I logged in and got through the checkout process in under three minutes.  (This is still a bone of contention for me - as someone who has collected IT products for 15 years, I couldn't score a single ticket, but there are scalpers on e-bay selling multiple dolls because they were able to get multiple tickets.  That's just not cool, IT.  NOT COOL.)

Another line that was minimally represented was the "Meteor" dolls. The "Meteor" girls premiered earlier this year to a lukewarm reception.  The main reason is that they use an amalgamation of doll parts from other lines, therefore, creating a new body.  Both dolls were IT Direct and were sold in the Virtual Salesroom.  They were $135 each and were produced in an edition size of 400 per doll.  The first is Mischievous Keeki Adaeze.


She's "alright".  After just receiving my IT Girl Magic Colette, Mademoiselle Eden, and Mademoiselle Lilith with fantasy hair colors, I didn't feel the need for this Keeki.  She was an easy pass.  (Although I love the boots, the "Meteor" line has smaller feet, so I'm afraid the boots wouldn't fit the Nuface or FR6 bodies.)

The second doll is getting quite a bit of attention from collectors.  She is Fierce Zuri Okoty.

Now, this actually is an impressive offering for the "Meteor" line.  As the Field of Dreams whispers ... "Make a beautiful version and they will come ..."  Fierce Zuri was obviously inspired by Mary J Blige.


Which only makes purchasing this doll even more tempting.  I believe her price will only climb as more collectors get her in hand.  She will probably be my biggest regret for passing.  (Had she had paler hair, I may have folded!)

Once again, like last year (is this beginning to sound like a broken record), there was only one homme offering.  He was an IT Salesroom Exclusive, cost $160, and was produced in an edition size of 400.  He was Power of Influence Declan Wake.  



Declan must be a favored character of the designers.  I believe collectors were hoping for a Pierre Devries or Francisco Leon, the first hommes produced by IT who have been absent for a very long time.  I sold my hommes and refuse to go back down that rabbit hole.  He was a pass for me.  

I call this group of dolls "The Fringe" dolls because they represent lines more specialized to collectors.  I will review Fashion Royalty, NuFace, and Poppy Parker separately.  

Sadly, Integrity Toys did not include a "Monogram" doll in their 25 year celebration which was very disappointing to me personally.  Of the six dolls here, I only purchased Evelyn and was able to get her at retail price.  I think I showed a great deal of restraint.  That Zuri keeps haunting my dreams though ... she's beginning to appear on more and more "Best of Legendary" lists.



 





3 comments:

omanriqu said...

You don't need a degree to express your thoughts. The only two girls I am thinking about to get in a future are Keeki and Zury.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog--your posts are so thoughtful, and the photos are always fabulous!

Stormstorm said...

I have been reading your blog for a very, very long time and I can say it is my favorite blog. I have started collecting IT dolls 5 years after you, so I really enjoyed your "history" information on older dolls. I guess providing a recap from a previous class is a professional distortion ;) and a very good one for new students :)