Saturday, July 11, 2015

Introduction #2 - Nimue

I remember the day in 2007 this doll went on sale at FAO Schwartz.  It was total madness.  I actually called the NYC store multiple times to purchase her.   My perseverance paid off.

The gift set includes three separate outfits.  There is the evening gown, taupe colored sheath with coat, lingerie with lounging robe that has marabou trim, purse, sunglasses, jewelry, and three pair of shoes.  This was the very first time Kyori was produced in Japan skin tone.  (It was three years before the effort was duplicated.)

The presentation was beautiful and I love blonde haired Kyori girls (my very favorite Fashion Royalty doll of all time is Blonde Ginza).

[Includes edit to reflect a reader's comment:   From the very beginning this doll reminded me of a character from the King Arthur myths.  I love the Merlin mini-series and A Brighter Side has always reminded me of Miranda Richardson portraying the "Lady of the Lake".   The Lady of the Lake has been given different names by different authors, including the name Nimue (pronounced Nim-uh-e).  In the Merlin mini-series, the writer's gave Nimue a separate character portrayed by Isabella Rosselini.   I'm sorry my earlier blog entry was not specific enough.  I combined the mini-series character with the Nimue name from written myth.  ]

This is easily the best gown ever produced by Integrity Toys!
The gift set was so beautiful, I wanted to leave it untouched as long as possible.   It took eight years to finally debox this doll, and the reason I did was that the head had started to yellow slightly.  ACK!
This doll's eyes always reminded me of someone who was drowsy.  I decided she was joining some sisters on a trip to Veronica Hage's spa.  I decided on green eyes that were centered.  I also wanted to get rid of those pesky dark lines in the lips.   So, here is my Lady of the Lake.
When Nimue isn't minding the lake, she travels among us disguised as a beautiful business lady.



3 comments:

Phyllis said...

Wow, she is absolutely stunning, especially after her repaint!

Troy said...

The changes work beautifully! She went from lovely to absolutely stunnning. I am hesitant to change dolls from their "factory settings" for some reason, but the more I see how they can be improved, the closer I get to doing some of these things myself.

Lisa Neault said...

I personally love what you did and am so glad you deboxed her. The lady of the white woods outfit from Mattel would look stunning on her. It has those gold and copper and white softness tones that would go with her hair. The repaint on her eyes is fantastic. I think in some ways Integrity has gone back to its older stylings which I am glad of, some of the dolls were looking far too ah, let's just say mean. Repainting the eyes on her she looks more awake and this giftset is stunning.