Saturday, November 18, 2023

Battling 12" Doll Companies - November Collecting Capsules

 Last Saturday, November 11, Integrity Toys had its 2023 virtual doll convention.  The designers, Alain, and Carol Roth got together in Las Vegas to present the 7 Deadly Sins collection.

In August, W Club members received a teaser for this collection when it was offered the opportunity to purchase Sweet Temptation Tulabelle True. Here is the promo photo of this doll.  (All photos of 7 Deadly Sins dolls are the property of Integrity Toys- IT)

This doll sold to W Club members for $165 + S&H.   It was a made to order doll, so every W Club member got the opportunity to purchase one for each of their memberships.  She was an easy choice for me.  I really liked the ensemble very much and the doll is quite attractive.  Here is a closeup.

The 7 Deadly Sins virtual convention was shown live through a link to a youtube channel.  If you missed the live event, you could watch the video at your leisure.   The first event was at lunchtime.  During this session, there were four dolls presented.  All dolls were sold through a "right-to-buy" lottery through the W Club.   

Chris Stoekel designed the East 59th Street doll for the convention representing the sin "lust".  The name of the doll was Deepest Desire Della Roux.  


I really like the use of the Victoire Roux sculpt as a half sister named Della.  I own earlier versions of this sculpt and wasn't compelled to enter the lottery.  Edition size 600 with a price of $165 + S&H.   

Next up was Vaughan Sawyer's Monarch male doll representing sloth.  This is Leisure Lounge Paulo.


Edition size was 500 and the price was $175 + S&H.   He is a handsome guy, but I'm not impressed with the ensemble.  This was a pass for me; however, I do find his faceup and hairstyle quite interesting.

David Buttry then presented the ever popular Poppy Parker line contributions.  There were two.  The first represented Envy.


She is called Turning Green Poppy Parker.  The price was $165 + S&H and the edition size was 1000.  This hairstyle has been used a couple times in the past.  It's not a bad looking doll or ensemble.  It just didn't excite me.  I passed.

The second Poppy represented Greed.  She is called All For Me Poppy Parker.  Editions size was also 1000 and the price, again, was $165 + S&H.  


I actually liked this doll quite a bit, especially all the accessories, but I didn't enter the lottery.  She just didn't seem special enough to me.  I am not a fan of bangs on dolls.

In between the lunch presentation and the dinner presentation, W Club members received an e-mail for Bonus accessory packs.  There was a Poppy Parker and Fashion Royalty shoe pack that was limited to an edition size of only 300 and cost $90 + S&H.  (I thought this edition size was ridiculously low since the packs were actually quite great; I anticipated high demand for these).

Here is The Gathering Poppy Parker shoe pack.  I was very tempted to enter for this one.


And the Fashion Royalty/Nuface shoe pack was called Sinful Seven.


The ensembles were limited to 500 pieces each and cost only $75.  These were extremely popular.  

The Poppy Parker Devilish Fashion pack was wonderful in bright red.  


And the Fashion Royal ensemble was called Garden of Excess.


Look at these shoes!  I loved everything about this fashion pack.  

So much fun to mix and match!  Yes, this was my favorite thing from the whole virtual convention.  Yes, I entered the lottery, and I am excited to share that this is coming home to me!!!

The second video brought us the main collecting lines for Integrity Toys.

Jessy Ayala shared with us his representation of Wrath with Erin Salston.  Edition size 1000, price $175 + S&H.  This doll turned out to be the most popular from the 7 Deadly Sins collection.  


Erin Salston is one of my very favorite NuFace sculpts, and  24k, Metamorphosis, and Heiress are three of my very favorite NuFace dolls.  Had this doll been blonde or even natural red hair color, she would have been a "must have" for me.  Unfortunately, I don't care for the fantasy hair color, so I passed.  And again, those bangs!

There were two offerings for Fashion Royalty.  The first, representing Vanity, is a Dark A-Tone, brunette Isabelle Alves called Glorious Vanity.  She cost $180 + S&H with an edition size of 1000.  

I really wanted to love this doll.  Truly I did.  I may wind up chasing her down on secondary market after production photos show up from collectors.  For now, something held me back from entering the lottery.  (EDIT:  After collectors started posting photos of this doll, I totally caved.  However, I had to be very selective to find one with a good hairline.  Quality Control seems to still be having a problem with these exposed hairlines; I've seen some pretty bad examples which is so sad for such a lovely version.)

The final doll of the collection represented gluttony; Delightful Indulgence Dania Zara has an edition size of 1000, cost $180 + S&H.  


The ensemble looks so much better as just a sheath.  

I was tempted.  For some reason this doesn't look as much like a floral pattern as a pattern of aquatic life to me.  For some reason I see fish and turtles when I look at it.  Isn't that crazy?  I already have a Dania that looks similar in my collection, so I passed.  Maybe someone will sell the sheath on secondary market at a reasonable price.  (EDIT:  Again, this doll was a total surprise post production.  I like dolls with elaborate hair.  I like the Dania Zarr mold.  I was able to pick this dolls up as a "takeover" on the W Club for actual cost plus shipping.)

So ... what are my feelings.  I also hate to review a collection without seeing photos post production.  For some reason, a lot can change between promo and production doll presentation.  I have ordered a doll that I really loved from promo photos to only find myself lukewarm when I had her in hand.  I have also skipped purchasing a doll to find myself feverishly seeking it on secondary market.

The 7 Deadly Sins dolls are nice.  They are attractive dolls.  Unfortunately, I feel disappointed though.  This collections reminds me so much of my feelings from the Obsession Virtual Convention.  The designers interpreted and produced dolls that weren't what I expected.  The 7 Deadly Sins is an amazing theme!  I was expecting truly over-the-top designs pushing the envelope.  Like so many collectors that have been with IT for many years, I was anticipating character backstories to be represented in the topics.  Where is Natalia as Envy - I mean her jealousy is the root of the rivalry with the dueling cosmetic companies.   Kyori's feud with the Perrins would have made her the perfect character for wrath.  And why oh why wasn't Agnes there as either vanity, gluttony, or greed.  Another missed opportunity by IT designers and a disappointment for many collectors.

I know a lot of collectors had been saving money for this collection in anticipation of some amazing dolls.  Many collectors have expressed how let down they were.  I've read on social media many comments from collectors that they migrated over to another 12" doll line that had just released its 2023 Fall/Winter collection.  On November 10, Jamieshow/Owensu released their promo for the Muses Legends Collection.    

Of course Muses are quite a bit more expensive than Integrity Toys dolls.  They are made of resin with hand blushed ball-jointed bodies.  The faces are handprinted.  They do not use stencils like IT.  Each face is completely painted by hand so they are almost like OOAK dolls.  They come with simple ensembles, but there are several Fashion Looks available in each collection.   Here is what the Muses were offering.  (And since these dolls are made-to-order, there was no silly lottery to enter for the "right-to-buy" them.  That means there was no anxiety or disappointment involved in your purchase.)

Here are the dolls.  Each retails for $475 + S&H.  Collectors pay a 20% on pre-order and the balance when the collection is ready for shipping.  (It's usually a few months, so collectors  have time to save up.)

First up is a new Muses character, Legends Daphne.

Next is another new Muses character, Legends Thea.



The third female doll is the second release of a very popular sculpt, Legends Eshe.




There was one male doll, Legends Gabriel.


The dolls come bald with a separate wig cap.  The stands are amazing.  They have shoes, an ensemble, jewelry, and dressing hands.

Also included with the collection was sixteen different complete ensembles.  Here are a few of my favorites.

Look 6 for the males (does anyone else see the rockstar Prince here?  (Price $175)


Look 9, $175.  How about Alexander McQueen for Givenchy?


Look 11, $225


Look 12, $225


Look 13, $250

In addition to the ensembles, there are foot wear choices, headpieces, wig caps in various styles and colors, armor.  Just so much to choose from.  This collection can viewed by clicking on the following link:    Jamieshow/Owensu Muses Legends Collection.  The pre-order window is open until midnight, November 20.

Integrity Toys has been noted as stating that they do not consider Muses a competing brand.  They have relied on the devotion of their collectors for almost two decades now.  They are constantly adding new collectors crossing over from Mattel (Barbie).  I remember how I felt when I purchased my first IT dolls.  I was a little nervous about spending more for Fashion Royalty dolls than Barbies.   But the quality made it so worth it.

I got the same feeling when I purchased my first Muses after collecting IT dolls for over 15 years.  I was nervous about the price, but the quality is so worth it.  

I have read posts on social media by several collectors who will be buying their first Muses doll from the Legends collection.  A lot of 12" collectors have already discovered the quality of the ensembles and have started cross collecting.  I don't know if Muses is competition for IT, but I do know that I spent $75 on the 7 Deadly Sins Collection.  My pre-order for Jamieshow/Owensu Legends was approximately $2400.   I know where I am spending my doll budget.  I didn't put in my pre-order until I saw the 7 Deadly Sins offerings.  Had there been a Natalia, Kyori, Agnes, Adele, or Vanessa the numbers may have been different.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I am one of those collectors, which has just ordered first Muse of Jamieshow. And you are the person, who introduced me to them here, waiting impatiently for my first doll🥰😘

Anonymous said...

I fully agree, me too I ordered for the first time 2 Muses dolls and I also agree that 7 Sins was for me a disappointed collection.