Sunday, February 21, 2021

#4 of 2021 - Mothership Dania Zarr

To say this doll took her sweet time arriving, would be an understatement.   Mothership Dania Zarr was a W Club Exclusive that took over a year getting into the hands of collectors; the Retro Future line was previewed in mid December 2019.  I have read that the metal pieces had to be tooled multiple times to get everything fitting correctly.

After completing my Best of 2020 Countdown, I was saturated with new dolls that had just been deboxed.  It was a blessing in disguise that my first three dolls shipped in 2021 were held captive by the USPS for almost a month.

Here is a quick closeup photo of Dania in her box.


And a full length photo.

This doll's selling point is the accessories and ensemble.   (Photo property of Integrity Toys/IT)

The boots are Tom Ford, the visor is Alexander McQueen, the coat is a nod to Balenciaga, the belt is a Dior piece, and the metal corset is from the iconic Thierry Mugler.

I have heard that collectors have trouble getting the belt to close once it has been unhooked.  I looked at it and there is enough room to sew in additional loops to let it out a little.

So, here she is out of box in the coat ...

These boots are amazing.   I have read horror stories from collectors who have broken the straps trying to get them on.  I noticed that they do seem quite fragile.  This raises concerns about the life expectancy for them.  I don't think they would hold up to multiple redress uses.  That's why my Dania will be wearing them for a while.

Another closeup.

I'm not very fond of the hair.  I've seen a couple versions where the skunk stripes look well done.  Mine is sort of all over the place.  My doll's Certificate of Authenticity states it was product #20.  (We all know these number really don't mean anything, but it always feels nice to get a low number for some reason.)  I LOVE that they have returned to the Optic Clash lips.

The thing about Mothership Dania Zarr that elevates her above your average Fashion Royalty doll is the chrome bodysuit.  (Both the bodysuit and the necklace use magnets to hold them together.  VERY NICE!)


It is very difficult to photograph this ensemble because the chrome reflects the light so much.  For a better view here is the IT promo photo.

Let's answer my two collecting questions.

1) Does this release rank in the top 3 versions of this mold/character? There are currently six other versions of Dania Zarr in my collection.  

I actually like the Dania Zarr mold quite a bit and have owned many other versions, including Red Zinger, Exclusive Interview, Optic Clash, Day, Irresistible, and Nostalgic.  I also owned the Iconic and Perfectly Suited versions of the Dania Zarr mold as Lana Turner.

The thing that truly makes Mothership stand out is that iconic ensemble.   It leave me speechless.  I applaud IT (and especially designer Jessy Ayala) for successfully translating it into 1:6 scale.  It is spectacular.  If you take the doll presented in stock, the answer would be a definitive "yes".  Not including the ensemble, I'm not sure.  


2) Would it be possible for this doll to make my Top 10 Countdown at the end of the year?  Again, if you take Mothership Dania Zarr as "presented", it would be near impossible to leave her off the Top 10 list (if there are 10 better, this is going to be an amazing year for collectors).  Separate from her ensemble, she's a lovely doll, but I'm not sure she would make the Top 10.

Because I do not plan to redress her any time soon, Mothership Dania Zarr will be staying here, in stock, for a while!  


  





2 comments:

omanriqu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
omanriqu said...

My armor arrived faulty and the hair was a mess, long time for receiving a defective doll, so disappointing.