Saturday, January 23, 2016

Nadja Rhymes

2016 is turning out to be a year of coincidences.  Last week was Jordan week on Flickr and it coincided with my mother's birthday.  This week is Nadja week, and I just received Polarity.

Nadja Rhymes was introduced in 2006 with Erin Salston when Integrity Toys (IT) first introduced their NuFace line.  These dolls were supposed to represent the young "up and comers"; the models of the fashion houses.  Hard Act To Follow (production edition of 1200) was trendy and exciting.  Although I kept the ensemble, I wound up selling this doll because I could never grow to love her hair color.  (Photo property of Integrity Toys).
2007 was the year IT started playing around with character molds.  SE Asian Isha became Caucasian Luchia and we got  a multi-racial Nadja with Colette Duranger (one of my favorite characters).  That year collectors also received the next release of Nadja, Urban Outfitting (edition of 1000).  I LOVE this doll and her original ensemble.  She is shown below wearing the Elements of Surprise Dress.
The only other Nadja to ever be released with the original head mold was The Illusionist in 2008 (production of 500).  For some reason, Nadja never found the love of the collecting community she deserved until she stopped being produced!   (Another photo property of Integrity Toys.)
In 2015, Nadja Rhymes received a makeover.  The new mold was introduced in the regular Integrity Toys lineup, but the first received by collectors was a 2015 Cinematic Convention gift doll, Out of Sight.  This doll is extremely popular.  Although I think she is more realistic, I still love the stylized look of the original.  I was able to purchase Out of Sight from an attendee's guest at a very reasonable price while the convention was taking place.  She usually demands >$200 on secondary market today.
I have not made up my mind about keeping this doll.  She is amazing, but I don't want her to diminish my love of Urban Outfitting.  Crazy, huh?  However, it cannot be denied that Out of Sight is one  gorgeous doll!
One of the reasons I haven't deboxed Out of Sight is that I had pre-ordered Polarity from the mainline.   I wanted to wait and see if I preferred one to the other or would keep both.  Yesterday, Polarity arrived at my home.  Unfortunately, I do believe the face ups are quite similar.
This is the picture of her NRFB.  I absolutely love this ensemble.  The coat is amazing! I didn't realize from the promo photos that she was wearing tights!  Yeah!  Even if I decide to sell this doll, I will be keeping the clothing!
These are the accessories.  The choice of orange is a little odd, but it does represent a color that is lacking in my collection.  I love the clunky earrings!  The boots are wonderful even though they don't allow her to easily stand on her own.
To support my collecting "guidelines", I have added her to my list of dolls received in 2016, I have deboxed her within two weeks, I purchased her at original price from my dealer based on a photo by Integrity Toys, and I have already sold more dolls this year than I have purchased.
I really do like this doll quite a bit!  I added the gloved hands from Bionica Jordan.
I'm not a fan of parted, straight hair, so I pulled it back.  (I think her hairline is a little too low on her forehead anyway.)   Much better, don't you agree?
Side Bar:  Since I was too chicken to take the coat off (the blouse is long sleeved), I am including a photo from Integrity Toys of the ensemble without it.  I think the crop top is just wrong with tights and a fur/leather coat.
With her hair pulled back, she's definitely a keeper!  So, Number 2 of 2016 is Polarity Nadja Rhymes.
EDIT:  I went one step further and tied her hair back into a low ponytail.  I took an older bracelet and put it on as a metal hair holder.  Now, she looks like a model to me.


5 comments:

Phyllis said...

Love this doll! She is so pretty! I just got the Ayumi doll that is similar to this doll. BTW, I nominated you for the Liebster award for 2016. Participate only if you want to -- no pressure, but I would love to read your answers! Here is a link to my post: http://adayinthelifeofmydolls2.blogspot.com/2016/01/liebster-award-2016.html

april_n_paris said...

When I saw the Nadja R "Out of Sight" doll, it was love at first sight. It is so rare to find dolls with short hair, but this one, who sports a scull cropped 'do is a real stand-out. When I saw her, I was reminded why Grace Jones and African Katoucha (former Yves St. Laurent muse) were so popular in the 1980's & 90's. Nadja R looks incredible in almost anything you put on her. Just discovering your blog. Enjoy your take on these gorgeous FR dolls & their wonderful wardrobes.

Aya w Świecie Lalek said...

amazing dolls. I'm in love right now... ;)

Vanessa said...

It's so nice to see them bring Nadja back. I like Polarity, but I LOVE Out of sight. I am a sucker for a doll with short hair. Polarity does look better with your hair changes. She is a beautiful doll, too. I love that outfit.

jSarie said...

Gorgeous doll! I love how the yellow of the blouse pops against the black of the rest of her ensemble. She has the perfect expression on her face as well.