Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Theory of Relativity

This morning I got up early to take Millie to her spa day.  Millie is my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  My husband had hurt his back working in the garage and couldn't come along.  We needed food for our dogs which we purchase from Red Bandana ... a store about 16 miles away.  Millie's day usually takes about 3 hours.  I can do A LOT of damage in three hours.

After dropping Millie off, I stopped by the Target which is conveniently located in the same shopping center.  Like everyone else I am currently on the hunt for the Barbie Basics 2.0 Denim collection.  I have been visiting thisTarget every day since after Christmas.  They have been restocking, so I know these dolls are coming.  (Thus my blog title "Desperately Seeking Dolls".)

They had restocked but sadly no BB Denim Collection.  However ... something did catch my eye.  The Mattel Japan dolls were out.  They were fabulous.  I checked the price ... $29.99.


Price for dolls is truly a matter of relativity.  I rationalized the $29.99.  A Barbie Basic is $19.99.  A FR doll seldom sells for less that $100.  I am always on the lookout for beautiful ethnic faces, so that was a key deciding factor.  She is stunning.  

The costume on this doll is extremely detailed.  It is gorgeous.  The deal maker were the shoes which are  outrageous!  



I decided to check out the other dolls for clothing.   I hadn't seen this cute little ensemble before and fell in love with the red slippers.   I knew they would fit Poppy perfectly.  Where else can you get a nice little outfit for $9.99? 



I had seen this plaid coat on a spotlight photo on one of the doll boards.  It was $5.99.   By this time, my hands were getting full.  I have this trick when I go doll shopping.  I never get a cart.  I only buy what I can carry to the cash register.  $45 was enough damage at my first stop.


 I left the Target and headed toward Red Bandana.  I knew I would pass a Walmart and another Target on the way. 

At the Walmart I found a Fashionista for a body donor.  I've noticed that there are fewer and fewer fashionistas.  Everything is moving toward the "Swapping Styles" dolls.  I understand the concept, but I don't like those bodies at all.  My fashionista was $9.99. 

As I was walking down the doll isle, again I was side-tracked by something different.  I have avoided the Monster High girls up to this point, but my attention was caught by a Monster High fashion.  I didn't know they made Monster High Fashions.  For $7.99, I knew it was coming home.




 Afterall, look at these crazy shoes!!  I bet they would look good on a Misaki.  Maybe even a FR doll.  They were just too good to leave behind.


 This is the back of the package showing three other fashions.  None of these were in stock. 
 At the next Target, I was disappointed by their Barbie selection.  HOWEVER, I was impressed that they had restocked a great many LIV items.  I was tempted by some red sailor pants and a clear raincoat with cats on it.  They also had two Moxie Holiday girls I considered.  One was dressed in red with white fur as a Santa's Helper.  The other was an elf.  She had red striped leggings and a green dress.  She was wonderful.   I talked myself out of this purchase and hurried out of the store.  I did not need to start collecting Moxie Girls.

I decided to hit a TRU and another Target.  TRU was cleaned out.  The Target was restocking and nothing was put out on the Barbie isle.  As I wandered around I was drawn to the Monster High girls.  They had Ghoulia Yelps.   I know she is a harder to find girl. 



 I love her story.  Being such a nerd appealed to me.  ... And I needed someone to wear the cheerleading costume.  I wonder if I can work her into my stories with my girls.   I'm sure I'll find a way.  Afterall, how could I leave her there.  She added $16.99 to my dolly tally for the day.

 The last stop was another Target.  My husband had asked that I stop by Best Buy and pick up the movie "The Expendables" for him.  Just so happened, a fourth Target shared their shopping center.  I went down the doll isle and ... YES!   Finally ... Barbie Basics Denim in stock!  I got #11 and #16. 


 They had two of another girl that I didn't like.  They had all four accessory packs, but the boy's accessory pack didn't interest me.  001 has some fantastic shoes, plus a yellow and a purple pair.  Those are hard colors to find in shoes!


 #002 has some fantastic glasses and a wonderful blouse. 

 Easily my favorite is 003.  There are some glittery shoes that are simply to die for.


When I got to the counter, the sales clerk rang the dolls up at $10.99 each and the accessory packs at $5.99 each.  How I wished I had picked up one of the other girls.  It appears that Target hasn't put any of the Denim Basics into their system anywhere in the country.  I've read of collectors getting these dolls for as little as $1.98 each. 

I was at the end of my dollie shopping journey.  I had done more damage than I should've.  I went and picked Millie up.  When we got home I unloaded the car.  "Where's the dog food?"  my loving husband asked.  "Oops!  I guess I'll have to pick it up tomorrow!"


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Japan is so pretty. LOL, on forgetting the dog food. Oh, you got Ghoulia! I'm still searching for her. Nice find. Can't wait to see your redress pics. I'm going to have to hit the Target stores as I'm looking for the red-haired Basic with the Louboutin face mold. Great blog!

Ghost Vader said...

Hi You had a a great shopping finds here!!!

I just love that Teresa... and Ghoulia!!! OMG she looks great!!!

That Monster High Fashion is soo great!!! Hope we can have that line anytime in the next year...

Oh Great Blog!!!

Unknown said...

Next, time you go shopping call me! I never have that kind of luck! Very successful hunting:-)

Carima said...

I'm a little jealous here! No fabulous new dolls here.. no target stores, no walmart, no nothing!

(I live in the Netherlands, LOL)