Sunday, December 26, 2021

Best of 2021 - # 6

The next doll is actually one of the few that was promoted, released, shipped, and received in 2021!   This doll show(s) up at Number 25 on the list of dolls added to my collection this year, but I hadn't gotten around to reviewing it yet.

I am one of those collectors that enjoys the imagined back stories of the dolls.  I think that is one of the reasons I got sucked into Rainbow High.   This goes all the way back to my playing with Barbie when I was a little girl.  Barbie Millicent Robert's boyfriend was Ken Carson.  They had a perfect relationship.  They went to college together.  He played sports while she cheered him on from the sidelines.   They went on double dates with their best friends, Allan and Midge.   They went to prom.  They got married.  They explored different careers together.   It was the dream life of a pre-sexual revolution of the 1960's/1970's.   

Jump forward to 2021 and we're definitely not in Willows, Wisconsin anymore.  (In case you weren't aware, that's actually where Barbie grew up and went to college!)

As adults we often forget that children are more aware and know more than we think they do.  Even when I was a little girl, I used to have Barbie and Ken kiss.  I'll never forget how horrified I was when my cousin Danny took off their clothes and put Ken on top of Barbie!   If you collect vintage Barbie, you know you've come across quite a few with holes where the nipples should be.  Over the past few years, we've moved from a "sexual awakening" to an "alternative gender awakening".  As a senior citizen I've been on this rollercoaster for the entire ride.

Please know that I am not criticizing this social change in any way, so hold the "hate comments".   I don't claim to fully understand the topics of "non-binary" or "trans" but, as an elementary public school educator, have been forced to do more research in this area than I ever imagined.  I do believe everyone has the right to choose their walk in life.   I believe it's not my, or anyone else's, place to judge anyone for those decisions.   I've always been taught to respect and accommodate differences in others.   

When Integrity Toys announced this doll as their first "Trans" character, many collectors sang their praises and applauded their inclusive attitude.

Here is a photo of Alejandra Luna Billion Dollar Baddie in the box.

And a closeup.

This doll has some fantastic accessories, and I love those shoes!  (Photo property of Integrity Toys)

Alejandra displays beautifully.

# 6 of 2021 is Alejandra Luna Billion Dollar Baddie.



  



1 comment:

Farrah said...

I don't collect the Integrity dolls, so I had no idea they made a trans doll. How inclusive and wonderful. She is gorgeous, thank you for sharing.