Friday, December 31, 2021

Best of 2021 - #1

First, I know that my countdown reflects my personal taste.  There are many of my collecting friends out there that would not agree with my choices.  That's okay!  The world wouldn't be so wonderful if we all liked the exact same things all the time.

I went back through the history of my blog (starting all the way back to 2010).  This will be my 12th year reviewing dolls that have been added to my collection.  Here is a list of the top dolls.

2010   -  Regal Estate Agnes Von Weiss

                 Smoke Signals Dania Zarr

2011   -  No Reservations Kyori Sato

2012   -  Glam Addict Giselle Diefendorf

2013   -  After Tonight Eugenia Frost

                 Midnight Star Elyse Jolie

2014   -  Montaigne Market Elyse Jolie

2015   -  Rare Appearance Dania Zarr

2016   -  Poppy Parker

2017   -  Queen of Everything Agnes Von Weiss

2018   -  Adoration Eden Blair

                 Afterglow Lilith Blair

2019   - Poppy Parker Fashion Week Style Lab

2020   -  The Enchantress Nadja Rhymes


In the past eleven years, the top spot has been shared by two dolls three times.  It has been given to a line of dolls twice, both times Poppy Parker.   The list includes 4 specific Nuface Dolls and 8 specific Fashion Royalty dolls.  The top spot has always been held by an Integrity Toys product.  


Maybe it's my frustration that the W Club and IT management teams refuse to do anything about the degree of scalping, maybe it's the constant quality control issues, maybe it's my disappointment at being unable to get a convention ticket when others are getting as many as six or more tickets and selling everything on secondary market.  Or it could just be a combination of things.   For the first time, in 2021 I went looking for an alternative to IT dolls but still in 12".


When Jamieshow Dolls first introduced the new Jamieshow/Owensu Muses line in December 2020, I had spent all my holiday money on Legendary Convention Dolls (having to pay secondary market prices).   I didn't get to preorder anything from the Premier Collection.   I was okay with that.  


When the dolls and ensembles starting arriving in April, I couldn't get over the photos being posted.  I joined the Facebook Jamieshow Muses Group.  It turned out there were a few leftover items after everything was shipped to buyers.  There were five characters in this group and 14 ensembles.  I was able to acquire my favorite character Premier Eshe.  After waiting several months, I was able to get Look 7 (my favorite ensemble).  Yes, it even came with a crown!  There is gold threaded embroidery and little silk flowers and bead work applied by hand.  There are LAYERS and LAYERs of tulle built into the underskirt in shades of pale tiffany blue and cream.   



This is just a whole different level of doll collecting.  (She is wearing her original wig cap.  NOTE:  Jamieshow/Owensu Muses have skull caps with magnets.  That way you can interchange different wigs, and there have been well over 100 offered.)  Here is a closeup Premier Eshe.



Following the Premier line, Jamieshow/Owensu Muses released the Summer Kisses Collection, six more dolls (four were different screenings of Premier characters and the other two were new "twins").  There were also 18 ensembles.  I acquired five of the dolls this time and six of the ensembles.  These ensembles were less formal than those in the Premier Collection.


In July, there was a very special luxe edition of gowns and headpieces called Queen's Palace.  These were pricey, but I allowed myself my favorite gown, Sovereign , the headpiece, and the accessory set.  Here is Summer Kisses Sasha wearing the ensemble.



I can't get over the feel and design of this.  The fabrics are expensive.  The beadwork is exquisite.  This is just breathtaking work!



In October, there was another lineup, Dangerous Love, which included four more female dolls listed (two previously released sculpts with different facial screenings and two new characters).  There were also four male dolls.   There were 25 total ensembles.  This was truly doll overload.  The ensembles were a mix of everything.  No collector went away disappointed.   I purchased three dolls (one male!) and six ensembles.  These items are expected later this winter.


Just in time for Christmas, we got the Enchanted Collection.  Four previously released females and two previously released males made an appearance with new faces.  There were very luxe clothing options playing to the idea of Fairytales.  I ordered only one female and five ensembles.  These aren't expected until about mid-spring.


So Jamieshow/Owensu Muses is responsible for bringing back great joy in doll collecting.  Everything is so elevated.  I don't have to fight scalpers.  George and everyone at Jamieshow is so free with their time and so kind to collectors.  They listen.  They make me feel appreciated.  


I reviewed the Jamieshow/Owensu Muses line on my blog already (Jamieshow/Owensu Muses Review ).   I just wanted to share what made these dolls and their ensembles deserving of my Number 1 Spot of 2021.   



Best of 2021 - Number 1 was, without reservation, easily given to Jamieshow/Owensu Muses.  I hope you enjoyed this review and countdown.  Here are Sasha and Eshe to wish everyone a Happy New Year 2022!







3 comments:

jackie_cincy said...

Couldn't agree with you more!! This doll line is just EXQUISITE! The wig caps are GENIUS! I've loved the wig cap concept for the 16" line and swore I wasn't going to go there with the 12" dolls again, but in the end I couldn't resist and am SO glad I caved. They really do bring back such joy to my doll collecting. LOVE the fact there is a pre-order period where we can all order what we want and not have to fight the scalpers. I look forward to what is in store for us in 2022 and beyond with this line!

Luis Calzoncit said...

I love the level of detail in this line's clothing. But I don't know, their face sculpts don't have the same level of charm and personality that IT sculpts have. (Vanessa, Adele, Agnes, Eugenia, Elyse, Giselle, Lukas...) The same goes for Mizi and LOVETONES. it is a little frustrating that IT has such a critical advantage but it's getting behind.

Ng said...

Ahhh...I see Vanessa Perrin French Kiss is not on your top 10! I thought she would be!