Monday, December 29, 2014

Best of 2014 - Number 2

This doll character was so close to becoming Number 1 in my countdown.  If I didn't love my Number 1 choice so much, I could have switched the two characters easily.

2014 was definitely the year of Vanessa Perrin.   It started when she was announced as the W Club upgrade doll.  According to the release, she was a preview of the theme for the mainline.   If you are a completist, she was a must purchase.  Unfortunately, when Fashion Explorer Vanessa started arriving, it quickly became apparent that the quality control at IT was seriously suffering.  Collectors were receiving dolls with all sorts of problems with the predominant being eyelash glue globs on the iris and cornea area of the doll.  Fortunately, my girl arrived pretty much perfect.
Fashion Explorer Vanessa uses mold 3.0 which, up to 2014, has had a very lukewarm reception from collectors.
At the end of each year, individuals on Flickr often post a compilation of photos that receive the most attention from the public.  My "In The Box Closeup" of the next doll has received almost 4000 views;  The most of any photo I've ever posted on Flickr.   Earlier in 2014, collectors had the opportunity, through a W Club lottery, of purchasing Second Skin Vanessa Perrin using mold 1.0.
This version was limited to 300 dolls and cost only $75.  She was the only doll I entered the lottery to win, and I literally jumped up and down in my kitchen when my number was drawn.  This doll is very special because it is the first time Vanessa Perrin has been produced in the black skin tone.  I LOVE SECOND SKIN VANESSA!
The next time we saw Vanessa Perrin was in the production of Lisa Ramsammy's winning entry from the 2013 IT Design Competition.  Her name is Edge.  Unfortunately, I do have this doll, so I am using a photo from IT.  This doll also utilizes mold 3.0.
It was announced that Ms. Vanessa Perrin would be one of the Gloss Convention dolls.  Here is Adorned Vanessa Perrin.
I broke down and purchased this doll.  She reminds me so much of Jaclyn Smith in Charlie's Angels!  Many collectors consider her one of the very best dolls from the convention.  Here is a close up from IT.

I mentioned earlier that Second Skin Vanessa has received the most views on Flickr.   The next doll has received the most "favorites" from my posts.   To everyone's surprise, mold 1.0 Vanessa Perrin showed up at the Gloss Convention Welcome Banquet.    Sheer Sensuality Vanessa Perrin was a no-brainer purchase for me.
I do not have a mold 1.0 similar to this doll.  She was an edition size of 250 and could only be purchased by attendees whose lottery numbers were drawn.  (For some reason, this doll is completely overshadowed by other convention dolls; however, I think she is one of the very best mold 1.0 dolls ever produced.)
And just when one thinks the credit card is safe … the Gloss Convention Helper doll is released.  It is called Illustrious Vanessa Perrin.  This is mold 3.0 and was only given to helpers at the convention; only 100 were produced.  Fortunately, I was able to swap my second High Profile Eugenia Frost from the 2012 convention for this doll.  Illustrious Vanessa looks like a blonde version of Night Warrior to me,  For some reason, I could never bond with Night Warrior, but I fell in love with this blonde version.   Unfortunately, she is still in her box.

If you were counting, you realized IT produced six version of the character Vanessa Perrin in 2014.  Two were using mold 1.0 (which was retired but has always been a favorite with many collectors) and four used mold 3.0 which went from the "bastard stepchild" to the top of many lists this year.   It must be nice for IT designers to have their "I told you so" moment.  Choosing among the six was near impossible, but I have to go with the most dramatic of the six ...

Best of 2014 
Number 2
Illustrious Vanessa Perrin


No comments: