Sunday, October 22, 2017

2017 Fairytale Convention Collection

The "Convention Collection" is the group of dolls attendees can purchase prior to convention.  IT announcees the list of dolls (without photos) and they can be purchased as a bundle and either picked up at the convention or shipped directly to the attendees home after the convention is over.  Even though there are merits to doing this, the collector is actually purchasing dolls sight-unseen.

In 2015, W Club members got the opportunity to direct purchase a doll from the convention collection from a sketch, Reigning Grace Eugenia.   Attendees got a discounted price, but every W Club member got the right to buy her.  It was a big hit with W Club members, and we were excited to get that opportunity again in 2017.

This year's Direct Purchase Fairytale Convention doll was based on Cruella Deville's character from 101 Dalmatians.  (Not an actual fairytale character but one from a Disney film based on a 1956 novel by Dodie Smith.)  The doll was Tatyana Alexandrova and the version was a giftset called "Fashionably Ruthless" ($175 or $200 at Convention).  The actual production doll could be picked up by the convention attendees since they paid a discounted price for her as an upgrade to their convention package.  (W Club members will be billed balances next week and the doll will be shipped directly to them).
I am so glad I had the foresight to purchase this doll.  I think she is going to be a big hit with collectors.  Fortunately, I have Bloodlines Tatyana from the 2013 IFDC Convention to go with her!

Other dolls in the Convention Collection included Veronique Perrin (mold 2.0) wearing "Sea Devil" representing Ursula from "The Little Mermaid" ($150).
I'm on the fence with this doll.  I was expecting blacks and purples or maybe shades of ocean blue.  The platinum hair was a surprise as well.  I'm just not sure about adding her to my collection.  I think the doll will redress well, but I've seen a lack of consistency with the hairstyle.  I don't think I would purchase one unless it was an actual photo of the doll and the hair was exactly the way I wanted it.  (She also makes an interesting companion doll to the table centerpiece Agnes)

You simply cannot have a Fairytale theme without The Wizard of Oz.  It just can't be done.  The designers, fortunately, looked to the musical Wicked for inspiration.  First up is Natalia Fatale (mold 2.0) as the Wicked Witch of the West, Elphaba, wearing "Wicked Behavior" ($140).
I really want to love this doll -  the Natalia 2.0 mold is a favorite of mine, but I'm totally on the fence.  I love the dress!  The doll reminds me of 2009's Heat Seeker, but I like Heat Seeker's screening a lot better. I think this doll will redress beautifully though.

You can't have the Wicked Witch without her sister, Good Witch of the North, Glenda.  Vanessa Perrin (mold 1.0) wearing "Spell of Kindness" ($150).
Again, I'm not feeling this one even though Vanessa mold 1.0 is one of my very favorite molds.   I already have the silkstone dress that is similar and the Poppy Parker "Miss Amour" from last year.  The screening is a lot like 2007 Vanessa Perrin "In Bloom".  The doll is gorgeous, but when you've been collecting a while it seems to be getting harder and harder to add dolls with a "special quality" to your collection.

That gives us four Fashion Royalty characters in the main Convention Collection.  It was a sure bet that Poppy Parker was going to show up as Dorothy ($135).  She is wearing "Rainbow Connection" (try getting Kermit out of your head all day!)
I so long for a little dog with this!   It's super cute.  I even like the tighter curls.  This is a very cute and accurate interpretation with some mix and match possibilities.  (The purse reminds me of Vivacite Eugenia's)

The other Poppy Parker in the Convention Collection represented Rapunzel and she is wearing "Shining the Starlight" ($135).
I Love that Poppy Parker is in a different skin tone!  Love the hair (it's a long braid almost down to the floor).  Don't love the ensemble!  I wouldn't mind picking this one up nude on secondary market, but I don't think it will happen because I sense she will quickly become very popular and difficult to get.  (Some collectors have remarked that it looks like she is wearing dust ruffle.)

The NuFace line was well-represented in the Convention Collection this year.  First up is Ayumi Nakamura as Mulan wearing "Rarest of All" ($140).
This is quite an extraordinary doll.  I really like her, but I am passing since I already have an oriental  Ayumi in my collection.  The ensemble, faceup, hair, and fascinator are all amazing.   I love the eyebrows!  It was a difficult pass.

The next doll was the first to sell out in the salesroom.  Eden Blair (I'm not sure why it is Eden since Lilith is usually the dark-haired version) appears as Pocahontas wearing "Changing Winds" ($140).
The twins are always a fan favorite.  As much as I want to love this version, I'm not feeling it for some reason.  I really like the hair a great deal.  The faceup isn't bad.  The ensemble is ok (I am old enough to remember chenille bedspreads!).   The accessories are fantastic.  I think I passed because she reminds me a great deal of 2012's Fame by Frame Imogen which is a favorite of mine and already living here.

Each doll in the Convention Collection had an edition size of 600.   As lovely as they were, I didn't dip my toe in the secondary market pool for any of them.  I feel comfortable waiting to see if the prices come down or if there are any left for W Club lotteries.

In addition to the Convention Collection, there are "salesroom" dolls offered to collectors with purchase tickets randomly put in their convention packets.  This year there were three.

The first was a tremendous surprise.  This is the first time the IT Nippon line has been made available at a convention.  (It is only the second time Nippon has been sold domestically - the first being a Haute Doll Magazine exclusive in 2006 "Metallic Moment".)   This was a giftset of Miaki and Amelie called "Drawn to You".  It had an edition size of 500 and retailed for $175.
They represent Mickey and Minnie Mouse!  What a wonderful giftset.  Amelie's hair even has two buns to look like mouse ears (had the buns been larger and more exaggerated, I may have taken the plunge on this one)!  I have been a fan of Misaki since the very beginning and own many of them.  As cute as they are, they were, with regrets, a pass for me.  My dolly budget is very tight lately.

Poppy Parker made another appearance in the salesroom.   This time she is Tinkerbell wearing "Believe in Me" ($135).
As cute as this one is, the dress reminded me of Lash Out's from a couple years ago.

The final advertised doll in the salesroom was Erin Salston as Rumpelstiltskin wearing "24K" ($140).
Holy Brothers Grimm Batman ... stop the Batmobile ... I cannot put into words how I feel about this doll.  She is amazing and was the second doll to sell out in the salesroom.  I have to give a shout out to Leandro Romero on this one.  I was able to get one from him at a very reasonable and fair price.  Thank you!  You have no idea how happy you made this old schoolmarm.

In addition to the advertised dolls there were five color infusion dolls were sold in the salesroom that had never been previously.  Three of them were male and two were female.  IT did not release photos of them.

Love the direction IT went with this theme.  There is a little something for everyone.  I think all of the dolls will redress beautifully.  Faces and hair look better than they have in many years.  It looks like quality control is back!  Great job IT!






2 comments:

Phyllis said...

I too ordered the Fashionably Ruthless doll and based on the pictures I have seen, I will not be disappointed! I am also staying out of the secondary market for the convention dolls as the prices I have seen are way, way too high. I would not mind getting the Ayumi Rarest of All doll, but will wait to see if any are available from IT later. My collection is very large, so I am trying to scale back! In addition, my baby graduates from High School in 2018 and my eldest is in college, so I have to mind my pocketbook better.

Andrew S. said...

In person I called her 'Shining in the princess canopy bed' Poppy but since seeing her redressed she's really grown on me. Believe in Me really grew on me and I hope one day I can either get her on the secondary market or that there might some for the online shop. I couldn't grab the Misaki & Amelie set that weekend but very quickly grab them on the bay and I am so grateful I did.