Sunday, June 30, 2013

Life Gets In The Way

I was so excited about being home this summer.  I had planned to update my blog frequently, debox many dolls, and get my dolls organized.

My mother-in-law (who lives downstairs in a completely efficient separate living area) came down with pneumonia and spent several nights in the hospital.  I've been going to physical therapy for a fall on my knee.  Our garden is growing and needs tending.  Insert some small violins playing, here!

So, as a small departure from doll reviews, I wanted to share some summer pictures.   First, our blueberry bushes are just bursting and have to be picked daily.

We live on three acres and have a raised bed garden.  Planting, weeding, harvesting ....  I've been working like a field hand!

Don't get me wrong.  We love gardening!  Whenever we travel we seek out new plants to add to our landscapes.  This is called a "lucifer plant" and was purchased from Biltmore several years ago.

One of our hobbies is rescuing plants from local nurseries.  Last year we purchased a stick for $5.00.  It was in the nursery's "throw out" pile.  It is a cephalanthus occidentals.  The common name for it is a "buttonbush".  It is native to southeastern North America.  We got it home and researched it on the computer.  It likes swampy, wet areas - like along creek beds.  My husband had the neat idea of putting it near the A/C overflow pipe.  This is what it looks like this year.

It has all of these really cool little pom pom shaped balls on it.   Bugs love it - especially bees.


After blowing up a photo, I saw that the little pom pom is actually full of individual flowers.  It's a remarkable plant.

Although I've been gardening, I did get an opportunity to redress and photograph Kesenia.  I think she appeals to me so much because my first "grown up" doll as a child was Malibu Barbie.  What do you think?  I have to include at least one doll photo - that is why you read the blog, right?


I promise to get better with the blog.  I may have to get Chaundra to help out!


2 comments:

Vanessa said...

We completely understand. Feel free to bring me some fresh blueberries when we meet up. LOL! I hope your mother-in-law is doing better.

Heather said...

Life happens, and honestly, I love snippet of life blogs... and your garden is filled with beautiful flowers I've never seen before!

If you're really worried about doll blogging... you could always recruit a doll to help garden, hehehehe!

http://travlingtwig.blogspot.com