Sunday, December 5, 2021

Integrity Toys Obsession Convention Day 2 Recap

So as the dust started settling down, so did the excitement and the prices on the dolls from Day 1.  

Today's "Luncheon" was combined with the "Style Lab" for online attendees.  David Buttry knows his fan base.  He truly "gets it" when designing Poppy Parker.  So let's see what he had in store for collectors.  (Photos are property of IT unless noted otherwise.)

The Style Lab consisted of five dolls that were sold nude.  They each cost $70.


#1 Beautiful Ginger Gilroy
Skin Tone:  FR White
Hair:  Auburn

Having just received Holiday At Home Ginger Gilroy a few weeks ago, I didn't feel the need to add this one.  I actually like Holiday At Home better.  (My personal photo of Holiday At Home)

The next four dolls are all Poppy Parkers.  

#2 Glamorous Poppy Parker
Skin Tone:  FR White
Hair:  Golden Blonde
This girl reminds me of other releases.   It has been noted by other collectors that she uses the same screening as Kicky from the 2019 Style Lab - my photo.  Kicky is a favorite around here.

She also reminds me of Glad All Over and Groovy Galore.  I have enough blue-eyed Poppy Parkers with long straight blonde hair already living here, so she was an easy pass.

#3 Gorgeous Poppy Parker
Skin Tone: Dark A-Tone  
Hair:  Golden Brown/Dark Brown Two Tone Hair

This doll commands attention.  I may need to add her to my collection.  She is very different than anything else I own, even though I pre-ordered the W Club Resort Ready Poppy a few weeks ago which has the same skin tone.  Gorgeous is the most popular doll from the Style Lab and is difficult to find at a reasonable price.  I've missed out getting her several times already.  


#4 Alluring Poppy Parker
Skin Tone: Hungarian
Hair:  Light Red

Another beautiful Poppy Parker.  There is something special about this one as well.   Another Poppy that may find her way in to my collection.  Although I have several redheads, we don't see Poppy in this skin tone very often.  She really is quite "alluring".


#5 Darling Poppy Parker
Skin Tone: Japan
Hair: Purple

It has been noted this doll is the fantasy hair version of the grail Kicks! Poppy Parker from the 2016 Supermodel Convention.



I just don't care for Poppy Parker with fantasy hair, so this was a pass for me also.

Since IT combined the Convention Poppy Luncheon with the Style Lab for an online convention, ticket holders also received a free Poppy Parker.


#6 Boudoir Noir Ginger Gilroy
Skin Tone:  FR White
Hair:  Strawberry Blonde



Collectors are calling this doll "Honeymoon Homewrecker" which is hilarious!   They have developed a backstory that Ginger interrupts Poppy's honeymoon and steals the groom!  This hair color/skin tone combination was used for Hello New York!  (My Photo)  I like the ensemble but don't feel she's different enough from Hello New York! so she is a pass.

Collectors were also given the opportunity to purchase a "centerpiece" Poppy Parker.  

#7 Belle Marlee Poppy Parker
Skin Tone:  FR Black
Hair:  Black

Cost:  $160




Since collectors got the "Homewrecker", they need the bride to go with her.  Although this is a lovely doll, collectors are already comparing her to other Poppies who are similar.  Most notably Mad for Milan.  Since I already have Mad for Milan, Belle Marlee was another easy pass.  (My Photo)

One of the most exciting things about The Style Lab is the ensembles that offered.  This year there were five.  Each ensemble was sold separately and cost $80.

#1 American in Paris


#2 Pink Vamp

#3 Le Chic


#4 Gothique

#5 French Disco


Once again, there is a little something for everyone's taste.  The only ensemble that was a "must have" for me was American in Paris and I've already purchased it.  LOVE everything about this one.  I like the classy casual feel of everything here.  Gothique is also a lovely idea.  These ensembles offer a lot of mix and match possibilities.  A truly lovely collection.

In addition to these ensembles there were two accessory sets.  Each cost $75.

Accessory Set A

Accessory Set B



I passed on each of these.

Saturday night was the "Gala Event".   There were two dolls. 

Centerpiece 
Sovereign Adele Makeda
Skin Tone: Sun Kissed
Hair Color: Golden Blonde
Price: $180


Thud!  This doll is a modernized version of one of my very favorite IT dolls, Paparazzi Bait from 2007.  (My Photo).   This was my second "must have" doll from the convention and I found her for sale for a very reasonable price (and I didn't have to pay tax or exaggerated shipping charges).   


Obsession Event Doll
Fall 2020 Elyse Jolie
Skin Tone:  Dark A-Tone
Hair Color:  Black


Even though this doll represented an actual Jason Wu original dress in miniaturized form, I  just received Bijou within the past few weeks and didn't feel the need to pursue this doll either.  (my photo)

Final thoughts.  I really do not like virtual conventions.  Everything seems rushed, less formal, less special.  I don't like that you can't handle the dolls and look at them in a showroom where you can inspect a doll before purchasing it.  

Many of the dolls this time seemed similar to things already in my collection.  Even though that is a hazard of collecting for such a long time, a lot of these dolls seemed similar to dolls received within the last couple years.  

IT informed collectors that the term "Obsession" was used for the name of this convention to represent the designers' obsessions.  Apparently they are obsessed with military fashion and athleisure.   Like many others, I was expecting opulence. 

From the 18 dolls offered attendees, there was a nice diversity this year.  Two dolls represented hispanic characters and five were created in black skin tone variants.  This is the first time the Gala Event Doll and Gala Centerpiece were both black dolls.   Unfortunately, our Asian girls were missing.  There were eight Poppy Parkers, four NuFace, one East 59th Street, and five Fashion Royalty dolls.   It really did seem as if there was something for everyone.

The Poppy Parker event pretty much saved this convention for many ticket holders.  It was a strong showing from David Buttry.  Many collectors have voiced dislike with the military and athleisure stylings - disappointment has expressed by several.

I've only purchased two dolls so far (mainly because I was able to find them from super kind collectors who were selling at reasonable prices):  A Doll's Life Vanessa Perrin and Sovereign Adele Makeda.  I also purchased the "An American In Paris"ensemble from the Style Lab and got the W Club event dolls.

I plan to wait until actual photos before deciding about Gorgeous Poppy Parker, Alluring Poppy Parker, and Varsity Alejandra Luna.

There has been so many quality control issues with IT over the past several months that I am going to be more cautious about purchasing dolls for which I don't have an actual photo.  The Customer Care team is being picky about replacing problems unless the complaint is filed by the original owner of the doll.   Quality Control issues must be identified within 3 months of production release.  Many sellers are requiring payment by IT Gift Certificates or PayPal Friends & Family which doesn't afford the buyer any protection for problems that could come up.  

If I had to list my top dolls based on IT photos, in order of preference, they would be ...

  1. A Doll's Life Vanessa Perrin
  2. Sovereign Adele Makeda
  3. MVP Rayna Ahmadi
  4. Gorgeous Poppy Parker
  5. Varsity Alejandra Luna
  6. Alluring Poppy Parker
  7. Adrenaline Rush Dominique Makeda
  8. An American in Paris Ensemble

Of course when actual production photos start appearing, these could change.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! It was David Buttry himself who told the story of Ginger being in the honeymoon suite!