Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Legendary Convention Recap (Poppy Parker)

Somehow collecting Poppy Parker has become the "new thing".  I can't believe the secondary market prices on Poppy Parker dolls.  Although this doll brand has been around since 2009, it has slowly gained momentum until it took off like a racecar this year.  I have owned and sold many versions of Poppy Parker.  This line has always had its diehard fans, and there have always been those versions that are most desirable and demand high prices; however 2020 seems like the name Poppy Parker just carries a very powerful punch.  Versions of Poppy Parker have been selling for over five times their retail price this year!  

Let's look at what convention attendees were offered, shall we?   I was surprised that four of the five convention Poppy Parkers were actually reimagined dolls from her 2009 flagship year.  (Too bad the 5th wasn't an actual release of the never-produced doll modeling Poetry in Motion.  That's one collectors have been begging for since the line emerged.)

We will start with the "Convention Collection".  These were dolls advertised to attendees with the initial release of convention information; attendees could preorder these dolls as a group and have them delivered to their home.  The first is Black Tie Poppy Parker.  Her retail price was $145 and her edition size is 660.  



It was easy to recognize David Buttry's inspiration -


Portrait in Black from the 2009 debut collection.  It looks like our little Poppy Parker is all grown up.  I really like what David did here by flipping the fabric.  This is a very cute offering.  Unfortunately, I just purchased Sizzling in Paris on secondary market,

so I didn't feel the need for another high brunette ponytail Poppy Parker with arched eyebrows.  Had I skipped Sizzling in Paris, I probably would've gone for this one.

The second Poppy Parker included in the Convention Collection was Dazzling Debut Poppy Parker, also priced at $145 with an edition size of 660. 

Again it was easy to recognize the nod to Reluctant Debut Poppy Parker, another version from the original 2009 collection.
I usually go ga-ga over any black version of Poppy Parker.  For some reason this doll's hair and face were too simple and seemed "already done" to me.  The big selling point on this doll was the dress.  David is amazingly knowledgeable when it comes to vintage fashion.  Dazzling Debut's dress is a replica of an original Pierre Cardin 1967 dress worn by Mia Farrow.
I'm sure the ensemble will be impossible to find, and I can't justify the secondary market price of the NRFB doll.  I guess I will have to live without it.

Attendees were rewarded with a third Poppy Parker in the Virtual Salesroom, the IT Exclusive Party in the Hamptons.  Again, edition size of 660 and priced at $145.


David did something really cool when designing this doll.  He combined 2009's Holiday in the Hamptons hairstyle and jumper fabric 
with 2005's Intoxicating Mix Vanessa Perrin's ensemble.
I was actually tempted by this doll.  I really like everything about her.  (The photo of Intoxicating Mix Vanessa is from my personal collection.)

All Convention Attendees were anxiously awaiting the Poppy Parker Luncheon.  I think everyone was anticipating some special re-imagined versions.  I had already predicted that we would see one of the rarest, most sought after versions of Poppy Parker, 
Center of Attention, from the 2009 Iconic Convention, only 85 dolls produced.  This doll is one of the true "Grails" of Poppy Parker collectors.  I have had her within my grasp three times and each time she escaped.  I finally just gave up.  I was on pins and needles waiting to see what David came up with.

The Poppy Parker Luncheon Centerpiece (and every attendee was allowed to purchase it: edition size 660, price $150) was Commanding Attention Poppy Parker.  

This is truly a beautiful doll in its own right.  I believe everyone was hoping for a more literal interpretation of Center of Attention, but that isn't what we got.  (Let's have a little alliteration inserted here ... I already have two Pink Poofy Poppies - Pink Powder Puff and Miss Amour, so she was a pass for me at this time.  I was a little disappointed.)

If you're counting, we have reimagined versions of Reluctant Debut, Portrait in Black, Holiday in the Hamptons, and Center of Attention - all from 2009.  Collectors started speculating about the Poppy Parker Luncheon Doll.  Could it possibly be the 2009 Poetry In Motion model that collectors have been begging for?
That would definitely fetch some extraordinary secondary market prices and leave collectors in a pool of jelly on the floor.

What about the Convention Centerpiece from 2010, Shadow of A Smile?
Another grail that is impossible to find.  (Wait a minute, is that the dress inspiration for Commanding Attention??)

What about the subject of Poppy Gate 2011, I Love How You Love Me.
One of my personal favorites.  (Photo is from my personal collection)

Poppy Collectors didn't expect another version of Bergdorf Goodman (Split Decision had already successfully accomplished that one).  It couldn't be Miss Amour or Powder Puff because we got Love is Blue and Pink Powder Puff at the Poppy Parker Luncheon last year.

Maybe it will be from the 2011 Convention - two Grails were produced for that convention.  Ready Steady Go
and In The Air
I think collectors would've been totally ecstatic with either.

Maybe, it's 2012's freckle faced Day Tripper (that always fetches >$1000 anytime she shows up on secondary market).
Who could it be?  It would have to be extraordinary, right?

Topping off the Legendary Convention's Poppy Parker offerings was a version based off a 2012 doll, but it was based on Lilac Frost Poppy Parker.  
Lilac Frost Poppy Parker?  She's a lovely Poppy, but not necessarily "Grail Worthy" in my opinion.  However, she does have that more mature appeal which seems to be the theme of Poppy Parker for this convention.

The Poppy Parker Luncheon giveaway doll (edition size of 660) was Lovely In Lilac Poppy Parker.


Each of these convention Poppy girls is a beautiful doll.  They will be lovely displayed.  Collectors new to Poppy Parker should be thrilled.  

I think David was trying to avoid the pitfall of giving Poppy Parker fans dolls they already have.  He avoided direct interpretations and gave us fresh looks.  

Somehow all of these dolls seemed like more mature versions of Poppy Parker.  If you like your Poppy Parker young and innocent, this wasn't the convention for you.  

Maybe I am just "Poppied out" after 2019's Fashion Week Convention (I wound up with 12 Poppies).  There have also been some extraordinary versions this year with the IFDC offerings and Model Traveler Collection.  

I didn't purchase a single Poppy Parker from the Legendary collection, which is surprising.  Unfortunately, all of these dolls feel like something I already own.  Were I to choose one, it would easily be Commanding Attention, but I'm not willing to spend the secondary market prices.

[NOTE:  Since this post was published, I was able to purchase Commanding Attention at a fair price.  I also added Dazzling Debut because of her ensemble.]






No comments: