Sunday, May 26, 2019

The A(E)yes Don't Always Have It - #8 of 2019

One thing you can count on with Integrity Toys (IT) is that they are always experimenting and changing things up.  Sometimes the changes are embraced by collectors, but sometimes their dedicated followers lose their friggin' minds.  

Last year, a most talented designer that works for IT, Jessy Ayala, decided to use some creative license and tried making the dolls' sclera more realistic.  In humans, the eye sclera is not bright white.  It runs the spectrum from pale white to grayish.   IT started producing dolls with a gray wash over the doll's eyes with a shinier sealer.   Unfortunately, the results from the factory were not consistent.

In an attempt to make dolls look "more alive", some of them looked like "the walking dead".   See my last post about Beyond This Planet Violaine Perrin.
It was strange how the results of doing this were different from doll to doll.  In some dolls, it didn't make a great deal of difference.  An example of the process being successful would be Goddess Tatyana Alexandrova.
I knew I couldn't afford sending off all the dolls I had purchased last year to have this problem corrected.  Since I have deemed 2019 as my "Year of Refinement" and was armed with one successful sclera correction, I decided to try my hand at some dolls.

Another case where the execution wasn't so great was one of my very favorite molds, Rayna Ahmadi.  I had been looking forward to Eye Candy Rayna, a W Club Upgrade Offering, ever since she was first announced.  Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed with the result of the screening with the gray sclera.

Here is a side-by-side photo showing the original screening and my correction.
I was very pleased with the results, so (after almost one year trapped in her box) I decided to release her to my herd.  

Here is what she looked like NRFB (with eye sclera correction).
Unfortunately, she suffers from another problem facing IT collectors over the past couple years.   It's obvious that her head is not the same skin tone as her body.  She was advertised as Japan skin tone (which is the color of the body), but her head is much more cream.   Fortunately I had a spare NuFace Cream colored body that I ordered in the last round of offerings.   

With her new body, out of the box with her accessories on, she can actually stand on her own.  (I had to press the pant legs.)
A better look ...
... How about a closeup?
(Does anyone else see a slight resemblance to Jennifer Garner?) ...

Even though she arrived in 2018, she didn't get added to my collection until May 2019.  She's definitely a "keeper" now.  #8 of 2019 is Eye Candy Rayna Ahmadi.




No comments: